by Kelly Beharry
Hispanic Culture at Tech
On October 7, 2016, Staten Island Technical High School hosted its annual Club Fair, featuring a variety of different clubs. One of them was Hispanic Friends Club, run by Kevin Reyes and Zeryn Tamton. The club promotes Hispanic culture by combining Latin American music with Latin American dancing, mixing styles from different Spanish countries, to encourage cultural unity.
Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15th- October 15th is known as Hispanic Heritage Month, observed to celebrate history and culture of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. September 15th is the anniversary of independence for the Latin American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico celebrates their Independence Day on September 16th and Chile celebrates on September 18th. With 55 million Hispanics in America, more and more people are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, showcasing their own specific traditions and rituals from their countries.
Top Latin American Restaurants in Staten Island
- Maizal: Known for its Puebla- Mexicano-style mole sauce and crafty cocktails.
- 990 Bay St, Staten Island, NY 10305, (347) 825-3776
- 32-07 34th Ave, Astoria, NY 11106, (718) 406-9431
- Inca’s Grill: The Peruvian restaurant serves both grilled meats and ceviche.
- 2110 Clove Rd C, Staten Island, NY 10305, (718) 448-0488
- Victory Cantina: The restaurant’s Mexican style is served with fresh ingredients and homemade sauces.
- 1736 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10314, (718) 442-2967
- Beso: This Restaurant features Mexican, Iberian and South American flavors.
- 11 Schuyler St, Staten Island, NY 10301, (718) 816-8162
- Adobe Blues: This restaurant offers sizzling fajitas alongside Staten Island bands like “The Wolfpack.”
- 63 Lafayette Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301, (718) 720-2583